When we started thinking about what Hunter Bell NYC would stand behind we kept coming back to the eye opening presentation about Human Trafficking by Rachel Fischer. Hunter first heard Rachel's incredible story a couple of years ago when she co-hosted a luncheon at Tony’s with Donae, Crime Stoppers, and Caroline Knapp. Since then, our team has strived to educate ourselves on how to be aware of human trafficking, how to help fight it, and how to help survivors. This horrific billion dollar industry is in our schools and neighborhoods and affects people of every socio-economic class.
What is human trafficking?
"Human trafficking is a form of modern day slavery that involves controlling a person through force, fraud or coercion to exploit the victim. Traffickers may recruit, harbor or transport a victim in order to exploit them for labor, sexual exploitation or both.”
- Crime Stoppers
Online Safety Tips
• Never share pictures of yourself online that you wouldn’t want to be seen by your family, teachers, or a total stranger.
• Set user profile to private so only real friends can get access. Know who you’re chatting with – a “friend” is not always a friend.
• Treat people online as you would in person: be polite!
• Don’t share personal information online such as your full name, school, address or phone number, or user passwords.
• Don’t meet up in person with anyone you met online.
• Report suspected abuse to law enforcement or a trusted adult.